The marketing and communications manager is a vital member of the organization’s operations team. They are responsible for implementing a marketing and communications plan that supports the organization’s work in three primary areas: increasing earned income, increasing giving and increasing awareness.
- Determines communications priorities and allocates budget and time accordingly.
- Promotes VisArts’ exhibitions. Writes and implements specific marketing plans for individual events. Tactics include but are not limited to print and electronic collateral, advertising, direct mail, social media and media relations.
- Promotes VisArts’ events, including the VisArts Chili Throwdown, Craft + Design, Collectors’ Night, Play Day and Young + Artful. Writes and implements specific marketing plans for individual events. Tactics include but are not limited to print and electronic collateral, advertising, direct mail, social media and media relations.
- Promotes VisArts education programming. Writes and implements specific marketing plans for course catalogs. Tactics include but are not limited to print and electronic collateral, advertising, direct mail, social media and media relations.
- Manages the production of VisArts’ print course catalogs (five per year) and online class registration release.
- Manages VisArts’ illustrator-in-residence program. Sends illustrator contracts and communicates with illustrators throughout the design process.
- Manages VisArts’ content management system (Wordpress) and its integration with VisArts’ course registration system (Proclass). Creates new content and updates content.
- Runs the organization’s public relations activities—maintains a media list, issues news releases, actively pitches stories to the media, responds to media inquiries and provides talking points to the executive director and any other staff who serve as spokespeople for the organization.
- Collaborates with development staff to produce annual appeals, sponsorship proposals, membership solicitations and other communications that support fundraising efforts.
- Executes the organization’s targeted email strategy using Constant Contact. Builds VisArts’ e-newsletters, which include information about upcoming events, exhibitions, residencies, classes, studio access and more. Collects and maintains distribution lists from across the organization.
- Develops and implements VisArts’ social media strategy. Current platforms include: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vimeo. Evaluates new platforms as they come online and determines applicability for VisArts.
- Supports the committees of the board as well as the marketing chair and committee by organizing regular marketing committee meetings and supplying monthly reports. Is a standing member of all event committees.
- Contracts with videographers for large-scale projects and records and edits short videos as needed.
- Maintains the organization’s photography repository, which is organized on SmugMug. Books professional photographers for large-scale events and takes photographs at small-scale events and programs. Documents both adult and youth classes on an ongoing basis. Uploads all photos to the organization’s photography repository and ensures they’re tagged accordingly. Provides training and support to staff who need access.
- Promotes facility rentals and other income-generating programs such as birthday parties and corporate team-building programs.
- Ensures consistent, effective and thorough implementation of the organization’s brand standards. Maintains an editorial style guide for the organization and educates staff and contractors about best practices.
- Measures the effectiveness of all marketing and communications activities. Conducts primary and secondary market research as needed.
- Special projects, as needed.