Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Richmond (BGCMR) delivers on our mission to empower young people, especially those from historically marginalized communities, to succeed in life by providing life-changing programs and experiences. Through five Clubs and two Teen Centers, we reach young people ages 6 to 23, aiming to give them everything to grow up healthy and whole: a physically and emotionally safe place, caring adults, and a myriad of programs and opportunities to build character, academic confidence, healthy lifestyles, and employability skills.
We are seeking a creative and analytical individual to join our team with the ability to apply a range of disciplines and platforms to engage donors, support philanthropic campaigns, and build awareness of Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Richmond.
This position reports to the Chief Advancement Officer in the Philanthropy Department playing a leading role in the department’s development initiatives, marketing programs and multi-channel communications. The Marketing & Communications Director develops and manages the agency-wide marketing and communications plan for internal and external audiences.
Marketing & Communications Director will be accountable for his/her ability to:
1. Develop and lead a comprehensive and integrated marketing and communications strategy, and helps the organization achieve ambitious goals in alignment with BGCMR’s culture of innovation and renewal.
- Serve as creative leader, project manager, editor, and principal writer for a wide variety of print and electronic projects, including annual reports, brochures, the BGCMR web site, newsletters, social media platforms, case materials, press releases, stewardship articles and other materials.
- Lead strategies for implementing, planning and enhancing internal communications across the organization, including contractors, part-time staff and full-time staff.
- Establish metrics to monitor marketing and communications activities and determine the effectiveness and impact of the marketing and communications strategy.
2. Maintain consistent focus on supporting fundraising strategies.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand the goals of new and existing funding programs. Write, update, edit and review proposals and supporting materials as needed.
- Work closely with the Philanthropy team on event programs, incorporating key messaging in fundraising, cultivation and stewardship events. Leverage BGCMR’s events to reinforce the mission and messaging strategy, expand awareness, attract financial support and increase the number of volunteers engaged with the organization.
- Formulate and advocate a donor-based perspective on digital content (including web and social media) to continually and accurately publicize BGCMR activities. Integrate print and digital content to engage donors and prospective donors at all levels of giving.
3. Develop communications strategies to engage a range of BGCMR audiences, including: Club members, parents or caregivers, alumni, volunteers and other community partners.
- Create a comprehensive messaging strategy.
- Develop a strategic communications plan to inspire our current and potential donors, partners and stakeholders, and highlight the impact BGCMR has on our members, their families and the community.
- Represent BGCMR to the press and communicate key initiatives to the media. Propose stories, columns, editorial content to print, broadcast and digital media outlets.
- Advocate BGCMR’s role in youth development to inform the public about BGCMR success stories and impact, and promote engagement and fundraising opportunities.
Qualifications, Background and Competencies Required
- Bachelors’ degree, preferably in communications, marketing or related field and three or more years’ experience in a communications or marketing role. Understanding of BGCMR’s mission and operations is an asset, and commitment to the BGCMR mission is essential.
- Outstanding strategist: able to define a desired outcome, understand current reality and collaborate with others to achieve goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in developing and executing digital campaigns through direct email and social media platforms.
- Ability to recruit, manage and retain a diverse team, including contracted support and pro bono contributors.
- Ability to create clear, simple processes for internal communication and record-keeping, and train others to sustain the activities. Project management experience is valuable.
- Results-oriented, with proven ability to use metrics in evaluating progress.
Accountability - Performance Measurements
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and graphics software
- Clear, concise and engaging writing ability
- Strong editing skills and attention to detail
- Proactive and independent development of work plans, timelines, and budgets
- Ability to initiate and manage effective relationships with internal and external partners
- Well-developed analytical skills and business insight
- Effective relationship management skills and ability to build consensus with stakeholders
- Team player and leader with experience giving constructive feedback to peers and staff
- A metrics-driven, entrepreneurial mindset that informs strategy and work
- Commitment to diversity
- Knowledge of the principles of fundraising preferred
- Expertise in social media, e-communications platforms
- Flexibility to work varied hours for events and to meet deadlines
- Ability to travel to BGCMR sites and locations as required
Competitive Salary & Benefits Package: This is a full-time position, $55-65K, with benefits options including medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k), STD, LTD, and PTO!