January President’s Message
2019: A Year of Yes!
The clean slate of a new year can hold lots of invigorating possibilities but committing to meaningful change can be hard. Let’s face it, rolling from one day to the next on the calendar doesn’t exactly wipe away the stress of the previous year. It’s tempting to fall back on the popular notion that resolving to say ‘no’ will untangle our To Do lists and bring more clarity to life.
Now more than ever, though, PR and communications professionals need to say ‘yes.’ Yes to ethics in decision making. Yes to diversity, inclusion and equity in the workplace and in everyday interactions. Yes to truth, transparency and accountability. Yes to a new collaboration or fresh approach. Yes to stepping up.
PRSA Richmond has grown in membership, evolved in level of programming and outreach. We have worked diligently to be one of the largest and most respected public relations associations in the country, with an active Board and highly engaged members.
PRSA Richmond needs to say ‘yes.’ Yes, we can step up. Yes, we’re ready.
- Attend a PRSA event you haven’t gone to before
- Bring clients or colleagues from nonprofits and community service organizations to a monthly luncheon, bring your supervisors
- Apply for a PR Award in a new category
- Go to a professional development session, with the idea that you may be able to contribute as well as learn – bring interns or colleagues from related departments
- Sponsor some aspect of the new & different PR Awards – there will be lots of options!
- Donate (any amount) to the PR Foundation to help support student scholarships
- Team up to help with one small part of a committee or service project, suggest a way in which PRSA Richmond might be of service
2019 is the Year of Yes for PRSA Richmond. Say yes, knowing that you and your yes are a key component of stepping up to our collective whole.
Judi Crenshaw, APR
President, PRSA Richmond