September 2020 President’s Message
Welcome to September! I hope your summer has been nice, and despite travel being more limited, I hope you were able to discover a new favorite destination with your family or friends. As you settle back into Fall, which appears to be virtual for most of us, be sure to check out all of PRSA Richmond’s exciting Fall programs. There is a lot happening!
We’ll be Virtual this Fall. With no certainty for what COVID plans to do in the coming months, the PRSA Richmond Board made a difficult, but obvious, decision to continue hosting all lunch programs virtually through the end of 2020. We’ll be evaluating all of this closely in the coming months, in terms of what 2021 will look like.
2021 Dues. The Board also voted to REDUCE dues for 2021. This hopefully will give members some financial relief in these uncertain times.
September is PRSA Ethics Month. AS PR professionals, we understand that ethics is a critical element in the activities we perform, the counsel we provide and goals we set every single day. When we join PRSA, we agree to adhere to PRSA’s Code of Ethics. This year’s theme of PRSA Ethics Month is Do The Right Thing. With an ongoing pandemic and continuing social and racial unrest, PRSA Richmond is offering numerous opportunities to Do The Right Thing. Here are just a few programs tied to Ethics, which our chapter is rolling out this Fall:
- APR accreditation demonstrates the ethical expertise that we as professionals apply to public relations. If you or someone you know are ready to earn APR accreditation, now is a great opportunity! PRSA is offering the entire process virtually.
- Our September 30th lunch program will have an Ethics topic. Stay tuned for more information!
- Polish your social media and speechwriting skills, with two exciting workshops coming up this Fall!
- October is Student Connections Month. We’re rolling out a robust plan to support Virginia PRSSA students – all virtual. Member involvement will be key: it’s a way to share expertise and set the Next Gen of our profession on the right ethical path. So check your email in-box for more information – and consider getting involved!
- The Public Service program is underway. The chapter in 2020 is supporting 3 deserving organizations — Safe Harbor, Friends 4 Recovery Chesterfield, and CrossOver Healthcare Ministry – with a series of online sessions this Fall with PRSA members. Read more here to get involved!
Despite being virtual, Fall is certainly chock-full of programs to benefit your own professional development. Fall also has opportunities for you to lend your thought leadership and ethical expertise to others. So get involved, and I hope to “see” you soon around the chapter – virtually!
Stay safe. Stay smart.
2020 PRSA Richmond chapter president